Pages

Monday, April 24, 2017

THE EVOLUTION OF CANDLES

People have been using candles for over 5,000 years.  It has been said that the ancient Egyptians used torches made by soaking the core of reeds in melted animal fat.  Of course, they had no wicks, but served their purpose by  providing much needed light.



However, it is the ancient Romans who are said to have developed the first wicked candles by dipping rolled papyrus in melted tallow or beeswax.  They used these candles to light their homes, assist with night travel and in religious ceremonies.

Candles were also used as far back as 165 B.C. for celebration of Hanukkah, the Jewish Festival of Lights.  It is reported that the Emperor Constantine had candles used for an Easter service in the 4th century.  Needless to say, candles have been used for centuries for various reasons.


Fortunately for us, we are now able to use candles for the ambiance and many fragrances available!  I find it so relaxing to see the flicker a flames with a fragrant aroma in the air. ;)

Candles also add a welcoming and cozy accent to any decor!  I sometimes choose a candle that specifically blends with my decor to give a pop of color to a vignette or table setting.


Other times, I don't care what color it is, I just want a particular scent for my own aromatherapy.  No matter why I choose a candles, I always enjoy!



Have a scentsational day!

Melanie






No comments:

Post a Comment